Rails 5 is soon going to release. Many New features have been introduced in this major release. We will discuss the improvements and features here.
1. A few improvements have been made in Turbolinks. Tubrolinks allows us to reload required contents only without reloading whole page. Turbolinks will now allow to update partial areas of web page retaining most of the contents using partials. This works like single page applications.
2. For beginners using rake and rails tasks have been a confusion. Now all rake tasks can be run under rails keyword.
rake db:migrate has been changed to
3. With new release RailsAPI have been merged in core Rails. Core rails can now be used to built api based application easily with this improvement.
4. In active record a new change has been introduced. In belongs_to association, you will no longer be able to create record without creating parent object. In earlier relase it was possible to create associated object without creating partent object. This also have been a source of confusion.
5. Rails 5 works on Ruby 2.2.1 and above. So you need to make sure that your application support 2.2.1 and above.
6. I have worked on few projects that required websocket for live updates. Most of the browsers are now supporting websocket. Rails 5 now have websocket in its core. Websocket creates duplex connections that helps servers to talk and listen clients and asynchronously update the client’s state without full page reload.