With Kotlin being officially adopted by Google as the supported language for Android, it has become confusing for developers that which programming language they should select for Android app development. However, Java holds an excellent position when it comes to the programming language and even considered as one of the excellent tools for application development.
This significant announcement by Google has spurred the experts to debate over which one of them is better Java or Kotlin. One of the most significant advantages that Kotlin offers is that it allows you to successfully compile and run it on JVM (Java Virtual Machine).
Let’s have a look at some of the other differentiators among Java and Kotlin:
- Kotlin is Easy to Learn in Comparison to Java -The first and the foremost convenience of Kotlin is that it enables the aspirants of Android App Development India or other countries to quickly learn it as compared to the Java programming language. Also, one doesn’t need to have any prior knowledge of mobile application development; anyone can master this language in a hassle-free manner. Further, it takes a significantly less time to write the code for Kotlin. And, if you are familiar with C# or Java coding, it is icing on the cake.
- Full Support from Android Studio -The Kotlin developers also treasure extended support from the Android Studio, and they get notified about the adaptation tools. It is worthwhile to note that when working on a Kotlin project, the developer is allowed to choose Java as well without any second thought in mind. It enables the Java practitioners to easily understand Kotlin and implement it in their actual app module.
- Kotlin Offers a Better Approach to Programming - When any Android Developer selects a programming approach, he might have a variety of options at his disposal. And, at times, it becomes a little difficult to choose a particular programming paradigm with every option having its own pros and cons. Kotlin offers a well-balanced combination of procedural and functional programming. It comes with extension functions, which allow to extend the competence of a class and help developers to modify the classes. However, in Java, they can use the utility class and the codes from java.util.Collections. These codes are lengthy, complex, and utilizes a lot of developer’s time.
- Kotlin Beats Java in Data Classes - Another area where Kotlin excels over Java is regarding the data classes. The classes are the storage houses where data is stored and gets represented through a prefix like var or val. It is time-saving, and the codes are also easy to read.
- Precise and Reliable Codes - Kotlin is renowned for its code reliability. Often noted that the app developers face problems about runtime errors, syntax failure, incorrect use of null pointers and more. Kotlin overcomes all these challenges of developers and helps them develop a more precise and trustworthy code.
To conclude, there is an exciting battle between these two widely used programming languages for Android App Development. However, Kotlin is outshining Java with its state-of-the-art features and might replace it in the future.